For businesses or individuals who are visiting the United States but do not intend to permanently reside in the United States, there are a variety of different non-immigrant visas which may be appropriate for you.
Tourism & Visit
- B – Individuals on a B-2 visa are generally admitted to the United States for:
- Visit with friends or relatives
- Medical treatment
- Participation in social, musical, sporting, and recreational events
- B – The B-1 visa allows a citizen of a foreign country to:
- Consult with business associates
- Attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
- Settle an estate
- Negotiate a contract
- E – Visas are used for those coming to the United States to engage in trade or the operation of business in the United States.
- E-1 Treaty Trader visa
- E-2 Treaty Investor visa
- H – Temporary work visas allow a citizen of a foreign country to enter the United States to work for fixed period of time.
- H-1B Person in Specialty Occupation
- H-1B1 Free Trade Agreement Professional
- H-2A Temporary Agricultural Worker
- H-2B Temporary Non-Agriculture Worker
- H-3 Trainee or Special Education visitor
- L – Employees transferring between positions at a company may be eligible to receive a non-immigrant employment related visa.
- O – Individuals who qualify as thos with extraordinary abilities or achievments may enter the United States based on their achievements in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletic industyr
- P – In order to perform or entertain in the United States as an individual or as part of a group, the P visas are required to be obtained
- P-1 Individual or Team Athlete, or Member of an Entertainment Group
- P-2 Artist or Entertainer (reciprocal exchange program)
- P-3 Artist or Entertainer (culturally unique performances)
- I – Visas for members of the foreign media, press, and radio are granted permission to enter the United States using I-visas
Study & Exchange
- F – Student visas for universities, colleges, high schools, elementary, and other educational institutions are obtained through F-visas
- M – Vocatioanl or other recognized nonacademic institutions are granted M-visas
- J – Exchange visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for htose participting in an exchange program
- Optional Practical Training – In certain situations, an individual’s stay in the United States may be extended due to continued training